Today was such an eventful day. I am constantly reminded why it is that I love Trav so much. He unlike anyone else knows exactly what to say to make me feel at ease, when I am upset about anything. After my interesting morning, Bailey and I headed out to do some Valentines day shopping for Papa, and just had a ball. Anyone who knows me is aware that I LOVE a sale! lol I never pay full price for anything, and usually find steals for pennies on the dollar. The last time I shopped for stuff for the family at Old Navy, I spent under a hundred dollars and got like 40 things! Trav loves that I really search for a deal before buying stuff. That is one of the many things I do to allow us to live off of one income. That and if we do not have the money to spend for whatever it is, we do not buy it period. It is a great rule to live by. I have been asked by a few people how I am able to stay at home. It started it off by saving long ago when we first talked about having children. We paid off cars and continued to save. We do not eat out alot and never have. I do my own nails. Shop sales for everything. The biggest thing we did was budget, and made sure not to buy things we could not afford. Sure we would love to have a plasma TV, but if it has to be bought on credit, we truly cannot afford it, and that just starts the hole of debt. We both had the same common goal from way back, and were determined to make it work. When I was preggo and still working all my money went towards paying for everything that we would need for B. Stroller, swing, clothes, furniture, etc. We knew then that we could totally live off of one income, because we were. We also do not have to buy diapers, wipes (since I used cloth there too), and I make reusable paper towels. Cutting cost wherever you can helps tons. I also buy in bulk if it is a great deal. When we sat down to budget for my new car we calculated how much was coming in and going out, and what we could afford to pay monthly without making us feel strapped for cash. We do that with every larger purchase we make. I know recently we had looked into getting a SLR camera, and we figured out what we could afford and it is my job to shop around and find one at that price. Trav and I work so well together, and I do not always stick to the budget, and usually it is groceries that I cheat on, but you have to leave room for that also. One thing I cannot stress enough is taking care of your credit. I learned the hard way when I was younger and made some mistakes that I barely got rid of recently and my credit is worlds better. When you have awesome credit you can qualify for 0% interest on vehicles which is ideal, and also deals where if you need something and do not have the cash you can get it for no interest and no payments for a certain period of time and if you pay it off within that time it is all gravy :) So if you have credit anywhere make sure your payments are ALWAYS on time. Protecting your credit is huge! We really have made many changes that we are so happy to make to afford the life we live now. We were talking the other night about our local bar we used to go to quite a bit out here. It was not unusual for us to go and spend 100 on having a blast in one night. We now enjoy a glass of wine or a beer at home for a couple of bucks. I used to go to starbucks often, and now might go once a month. I make green tea at home, and coffee on mornings that are rough. I also cook almost everything from scratch and that saves a ton at the grocery store. Buying processed or frozen foods is alot more expensive. Grocery shopping for me is a job itself! lol I sit down with the ads and plan my meals according to what is on sale. I am fortunate enough to have several grocery stores very close, so I usually go to a few different ones in my grocery day. I always eat before I go to avoid buying stuff because it looks good. I have also figured out food wise what is used alot, and if those things go on sale I stock up. Butter freezes really well, and so does bacon! :) Well I sure wrote a book! I know some of you were wanting to know how we do it, so those are some things we have done. I was trying to get to the good deal I got at Target today. My best friend just had her baby and I had been getting a care package together to send to her, and I wanted to get her some comfy pjs or something because I remember after having B, I just wanted to be comfortable. I ended up finding a 30.00 robe for 4.00! I was stoked, and also happened to go on the toy aisle and found a Radio Flyer pink tricycle for B at only 14.98 and it was 60.00 normally. A cute gift for Valentines day, although Trav is going to buy her something she can enjoy now. She is definitely not ready to hop on her trike! I was so excited to get those deals, and send Jess her package tomorrow. We got the grocery shopping done for my vday dinner. We are grilling filet mignon, and having cheese fondue with bread, apples, potatoes, asparagus, and for dessert choclate covered stawberries. I also got a bottle of my favorite wine to enjoy. I look forward to sharing the day with my little family. Well Trav came home today and told me that they are only promised work until June, which I am not surprised by. The company he works for has been subbing their jobs out to cheaper companies to make a profit. I see it as the perfect time to relocate, and I believe Trav sees it too. His only worry is selling the house, but we spoke tonight and we agree we wont know if it will sell until we try. If we put it up now, maybe by June it will have sold. It has def put a fire under my butt to start looking for opportunities elsewhere for him. I LOVE Georgia, and have already found some great companies looking for him one being Waste Management. We are not worried about him not having work, because he is a hard worker, and worrying does not change anything anyway. I guess we will see how it all unfolds in the coming weeks. I look forward to a change in scenery, and believe everything happens for a reason. Well I think I have said enough for tonight, but one last thing. I asked Bailey this morning if she wanted to go shopping, and she said "Yeah"...........I was like.......thats my girl! :)
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
hope bailey enjoyed her shopping day! Happy Valentine's day BTW!
Post a Comment