Bailey is snug in bed and Trav is sound asleep after being out late last night and having to be up at 4 for work so he is pooped. I thought I would take a moment to blog and add some photos. The last week or so has been so eventful! It started out with my birthday! I still can't believe I am already 28, but whatever! Trav made me a very special dinner, and since I love to sew he offered to invest in some equipment to make my own cloth diapers. Of course I became super excited because for one I love cloth diapering and two we plan on having several children and this will be a cheaper and more fun route to take. I already have a sewing machine so we bought a REALLY nice serger for an awesome deal, and a snap press to add snaps onto my dipes! On top of that he gave me the go ahead to order all the supplies I needed to get started. Fabric was the first thing I bought and boy did I have fun picking it out! I was able to score tons of fabric used by big name diaper companies for myself to make my dipes. I was beyond eager to make my first diaper, but Bailey demands alot of my time so I did a little over the course of 2 days. After the diaper was completed, I was SHOCKED at how great it came out on my first try! I used a diaper that I had as my guide since I really did not have a pattern. Travis was so excited for me, and said he knew I would be good at it :) The fit was perfect on B, and she must have loved it because she pooped in it right away! I have already had tons of requests form my CDing friends for dipes, but as of right now I do not plan on making it a business. In the future it is a possibility but Bailey is my main focus, and I do not want anything interfering with being able to give her my attention. I have a bunch more organic fabrics coming and I hope to make some dipes soon! With the serger I can make sooo many different things it really is endless. I had already made unpaper towels months ago with the regular sewing machine, but the serger made it that much easier. I have not bought paper towels in months! Just one more way to cut down on garbage. While all this was going on I was busy cooking also. I cook every day, but this week our offering from the Co-op included 25 pounds of Tomatoes that I ordered. I made a HUGE batch of salsa but had SO many left I was not sure what I would do with them. I decided to roast them all with some olive oil, salt and pepper in my roaster oven and freeze for spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, etc. The house smelled amazing! I can't wait to see what we have this weekend at the Co-op. We are looking into ordering 1/2 a cow in the next couple of months that is hormone free etc. Since having Bailey we have really started to implement alot of changes into our lives in trying to be healthier with food etc. We are constantly making more changes and learning as we go. It is fun and so interesting for both of us. I have been surprised by Travs excitement in all of these areas. I was raised very organic and natural, however ventured away from it when I got older. This is all new for Trav but after doing any research it is easy to see that these choices we make are great ones for our little family. Back in the day when I was a child we shopped at a Co-op in Tempe called Gentle Strength....it closed a few years back, but man do I wish they were still around! I did not appreciate it back when I was a child, but now that I am older I completely understand why my mom made those choices. It is encouraging to see so many people starting to research causes of different diseases and such that have become so common. It is sad to see cancer causing chemicals being used in products used on our precious children. I quickly learned after Bailey was born that no giant company is going to look out for my daughter and do what is best for her. I have to take it upon myself to do the research needed to make sure she has the best chance of an awesome healthy future. I hope to see the government step in and make some changes to what is being allowed ingredient wise in all products not just childrens. Until then I will do my research little by little, and make my choices for our family based off of that. I seem to always get on a rant when I talk about this stuff, but I am so passionate about anything that has to do with Bailey and keeping her safe. There is alot of toxic chemicals in the air and such that I have no control over, however there are alot of other ways I can prevent/minimize her exposure to other harmful chemicals. The internet is full of information, and really you can find info on both sides, however facts are facts. When and ingredient used in baby products was found intact in a breast cancer tumor my eyes where opened wide, and that started my search for more information. I try to set aside a little time each week to do research when Bailey is in bed, or on the weekend mornings when she is watching sports with daddy. Speaking of sports! Yesterday the Cardinals made it to the Superbowl! We were so excited......Trav insisted I dress B in her Cardinals cheerleader outfit for his good luck charm. Sure enough when she went down for nap, they started to lose! Thankfully she woke up from her nap just in time to help them win the game! Trav swears it was his B that was the luck they needed :) We snapped a couple of cute pictured during half time, and I posted a couple from her 9 month bday at the park. We have alot planned for the rest of the week, so I will post as I go........today is only Monday!
Monday, January 19, 2009
A week in the life of a SAHM
Posted by BaileysMommy at 6:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
so proud of you for taking the time and effort to make cloth diapers for your little one. we have since gone back to dispos, but we are using all natural brands andorganic foods for little D.
Post a Comment